The Buctouche MicMac Band is also known as Tjipogtotjg which means Little River of Fire. It was established November 1, 1810.
In 1958, a family moved back onto the Reserve long after the Reserve was abandoned in 1924. It wasn’t until 1981 that a decision was reached by the majority of existing members to take a vote to sign in new members.
This area was once known as Sigenigtog, one of the 7 Traditional hunting districts of the MicMac Tribe’s traditional lands. The elders of the tjipogtotjg say that this band’s particular fishing, trapping and hunting territories encompassed the western third of Prince Edward Island, followed the coast of New Brunswick from Miramichi Bay along the Northumberland Strait, southeast between Nova Scotia on the Bay of Fundy to the border of Maine; during winter months, this territory also stretched inland to Fredericton, Grand Lake, Moncton and Miramichi.
9 Reserve Rd.